Monday, July 06, 2009

cron jobs terminate prematurely on Godaddy accounts

I've been using a large tarball file to upload my online store updates to godaddy and a cron job to unpack the tarball.

As the size of that tarball increased, due to adding more products, I noticed that the tar process would terminate prematurely, causing big issues, with the store left half-updated, in an inconsistent state.

I've been suspecting the folks at godaddy running some sort of watchdog timer and killing off processes that take longer to run.

Well, according to some reports, that indeed seems to be the case.

One option to go around this would be to break the large tarball in several smaller ones, that won't keep tar humming for too long. Also I should perhaps consider sending only actual delta changes instead overwriting the whole store in one go.

No comments: